Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Under the Juniper Tree Season 6, Episode 11 for Tuesday, December 12, 2017
- We often fear grief because of the discomfort it brings us but the Bible shows it to be a natural reaction.
- Consider: Deut. 34:8, 1 Sam. 1:7, 10, 2 Sam. 1:11-12, John 11:35.
- We spend too much time propagating myths concerning mourning.
- Ignore it and it goes away Truth: That actually makes it worse. The best thing to do is face the grief.
- Be strong in the face of loss! – Truth: Crying doesn’t make you weak. In fact, it might be a benefit to others who are suffering.
- If one does not cry, they must not care. – Truth: Grief comes in different ways. Crying IS a normal response but it is not the only one.
- Grief only lasts a year – Truth: It might last longer. Grief has no time table.
- Moving on means forgetting – Truth: Moving on means accepting but not forgetting
- This has caused our society to forget how to grieve. Three days tops and our lives have to be back in order.