Season 2, Episode 48
For Wednesday, October 7, 2015
“The Bible Commands Sobriety”
The Bible Commands Sobriety.
A. There are at least ten passages in the NT where the Bible commands sobriety.
1. 1 Pet. 5:8 is one of them.
2. A Christian can’t fight Satan unless his mind is sober. He can’t claim that he has a sober mind while drinking alcohol.
B. Does social drinking fit 1 Cor. 10:31?
1. 1 Cor. 10:31 – “Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God”
C. 1 Tim. 5:23 – “No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities.”
1. It’s interesting that Timothy had to be told by Paul to do this. He was hesitant to do it himself. If drinking wine was common for early Christians, then Paul wouldn’t have had to say that.
2. We must understand this passage in light of Timothy’s health struggles.