Season 1, Episode 3
For Thursday, January 22, 2015
“How Can I Teach About the Bible Lands if I’ve Never Been to Them?”
HOST: Robert Hatfield
GUEST: Tony Lawrence
- Have you ever felt inadequate discussing the ancient biblical sites because you’ve never visited them? Tony Lawrence has been traveling to and leading tours through the Bible lands for 20 years. He shares some of his favorite tools for studying and teaching about the places and culture of Bible times.
In the News:
- In the News: SCOTUS hears same-sex cases.
- In the News: The ‘Boy Who Came Back from Heaven’ Retracts Story
- In the News: “The Boy Who Came Back?” (by Dr. Dave Miller, Apologetics Press)
- In the News: “Sunday Morning Segregation: Most Worshipers Feel Their Church Has Enough Diversity”
- In the News: Freed-Hardeman University’s 79th Annual Bible Lectureship is coming up.
- In the News: Faulkner University Announces Mike Williams as Next President
Bible Geography Resources:
- Bible Land Photos – Tony’s personal website which features his personal, amateur pictures from the trips that he has taken to the Bible lands.
- BiblePlaces.com – Professionally produced pictures of the Bible lands. Specific places or entire sets are available for sale and can be used for presentations. Tony recommends the “Pictorial Library of Bible Lands,” and especially enjoys “Views That Have Vanished.”
- Check YouTube and Vimeo for Bible places. There are many videos that people have shot on their trips to the biblical sites. Too, there are some great CGI reconstructions of how the ancient sites would have looked in ancient times. Use caution that you take these videos from people who seem to have credibility.
- For whose willing to purchase professionally-produced videos, Tony recommends two courses (available from thegreatcourses.com): “The Holy Land Revealed” by Dr. Jodi Magness and “The Great Tour: Greece and Turkey” by Dr. John Hale. These are college-level courses.
- Books & Software:
- Zondervan Bible Atlas
- Sacred Bridge (on a bit more professional level)
- iOS App: BibleMaps PLUS (if you were purchase all of the maps available as in-app purchases, the entire app would still only cost $5.99)
- Stone and Dung, Oil and Spit: Jewish Life in the Time of Jesus by Jodi Magness
- A Guide to Biblical Sites in Greece and Turkey by Dlyde E. Fant and Mitchell G. Reddish
- You May Also Like…
- Preachers in Training, episode 14: “Talking Tech: Accordance Bible Software” — On an early episode of PIT, Tony Lawrence joined Robert to discuss and demonstrate the power of Accordance Bible software (which Tony mentions in this episode). You may enjoy to check it out.
- Email: email@example.com
- Voicemail: 903-26-LIGHT (903-265-4448)
- If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.