HOST: Andrew Crowe
- Why should we study this topic? Andrew takes a moment to describe the importance of knowing more about mental health.
Outline of this episode:
The Bible Speaks of Depression
- Moses (Num. 11:14).
- Elijah (1 Kings 19:1-18).
- Jeremiah (Jer. 20:14-18).
It is More Common Than You Think
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America reports that Anxiety Disorder is the most common mental illness in the U.S. – 40 million Americans suffer from it. Friends, that is 18% of the U.S. population.
- National Institute of Mental Health reports that Major depression is up there with Anxiety Disorder.
- It holds the greatest burden of disability in the realm of mental disorders.
- In 2012 an estimated 16 million adults (18+) were thought to suffer from at least one major depression episode (major depressive episodes can last up to two+ weeks).
- Mental Health America states that 19 million Americans suffer from depression.
- Important to keep in mind that this can affect anyone of any age.
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education states that 15% of those who are clinically depressed die by suicide.
- Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30,000 Americans every year.
- For young people 15-24 years old, suicide is the third leading cause of death.
- Someone dies of suicide every 16.2 minutes.
- The strongest risk factor for suicide is depression.
It Is Misunderstood
- Well meaning people say, “We should be too blessed to be depressed.”
- Prov. 20:25
- It Impacts Our Spiritual Lives
- There Measures Which Can Improve Our Lives
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America Facts and Stats page
- Mental Health America Depression information
- National Institute of Mental Health Major Depression information
- Voicemail: 903-26-LIGHT (903-265-4448)
- If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.