Season 1, Episode 7
For Thursday, February 26, 2015
“Cant the Church Help? James 1:19”
HOST: Andrew Crowe
When someone comes to us expressing a mental need or issue, how do we react? James 1:19 gives us a good answer.
Outline of this episode:
- Proper context behind the verse: Listen to God!
- From a general standpoint, this verse can be used as a guideline to help others.
- Be Swift to Hear
- Sometimes someone is only looking for an opportunity to get that weight off of his or her chest.
- Imagine the fear that comes from something of this nature.
- They have been seeking out an opportunity to talk to someone and they are likely afraid.
- Will they reject me?
- What if they do not understand?
- What if they do not care?
- The response we give is important.
- We ought to listen – REALLY listen.
- Sometimes, all someone wants is an ear. Give it to them.
- Be Slow to Speak
- This is where a lot of people have difficulties.
- When we listen, we might be able to figure out something the person might need for help.
- Too often, individuals get tuned out and we prepare the speech.
- What happens when we do this?
- Imagine a teenager being given daily chores by parents.
- Try to imagine how someone feels when we do not listen.
- The person may end up feeling like no one cares.
- He or she may not open up to someone again for a long time.
- Be Slow to Wrath
- Be patient.
- Please understand one important fact: not every day will be a good day for the person who is suffering.
- God was patient with Elijah and we should be patient with others (1 Kings 19:11-12).
- Submit your feedback or suggest future topics via email (email@example.com)
- Voicemail: 903-26-LIGHT (903-265-4448)
- If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.