Season 2, Episode 51
For Monday, October 12, 2015
“The Millstone Warning”
- Jesus invested His time on earth in people. In so doing, He was obeying His Father.
- Today, we turn to a tender scene for us, His disciples, to notice that Jesus was about US (Luke 17:1-4).
Observations from Luke 17:1-2:
The disciples would sometimes stumble into sin (Luke 17:1a).
- “Offenses” [lit., a trap-stick] were going to come (cf. Mat. 18:7; 1 Cor. 11:19).
- Jesus is not minimizing the consequence of sin by saying this (cf. 1 Jn. 1:8; 2 Pe. 2:20).
Those who caused the disciples to stumble were in serious trouble (17:1b-2).
- Some were unbelievers, pagans, false teachers. Others were Pharisees and the religious “elite.”
- A millstone was used to grind grain to flour. The stones were common family items and very heavy.