Recorded Tuesday, March 5, 2013
“Talking Tech: Backing Up Your Digital Life”
HOST: Robert Hatfield
GUESTS: Chad Landman
Video of this episode:
- Backing up for Mac: SuperDuper!
- SuperDuper! is a one-stop disk image-making solution that allows you to have a complete backup and delete previous backups.
- But it also allows you the flexibility to make a bootable HD copy for your entire computer.
- Backing up for Windows: Use the built-in Windows Backup Utility
- You can make a disk image backup much in the same way you use SuperDuper! on the Mac
- A wise person once said: “To err is human, but to really mess things up requires a computer with no backup.”
- If you don’t back up, you can lose photos of your kids, music files of CDs you ripped 10 years ago, and countless important documents
- It only takes one time to lose all your data before you start seeing how important backing up is
- Time Machine is a great, easy solution, if you have a spare hard drive sitting around, which most people don’t.
- Chad’s tips for backing up:
- Every month I make a complete bootable backup (I could literally throw my computer out the window, buy a new Mac, and be up and running with all my data in half a day).
- Chad uses a 2-2-2 plan, meaning that he backs up twice each month on two different types of media and stores them in two different locations.
- Online Backups – Carbonite.com > Limits: Bandwidth, Cost, Slow restore if needed
Picks of the Week:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voicemail: 903-26-LIGHT (903-265-4448)
- If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.